“How do I build a website?” It’s a question we’ve all asked ourselves at some point in time, even the best developers — although they may have only been kids when they first asked that question.
Developers have spent years learning specialized languages that allow them to build a website from almost nothing. It’s magical to see a website transform from a simple line of text that reads, “Hello, world!” into a responsive, animated, multi-dimensional work of art.
But you don’t have to learn code to make a website. Today, there are many different ways to build a website for yourself, no coding experience required. All it takes is bit of time, effort, and cash.
Step 1: Get a domain name
If you’re building a website for your business, you want to put a professional face forward, which includes buying a customized domain name. It’s simply unprofessional for your business’s website to be at yourbusiness.wordpress.com. At Vireo Productions, we like A Small Orange. Their customer service is unbelievably great, and their prices are reasonable.
Cost: About $15/year
Step 2: Set up hosting
Now that you have a name, you need somewhere to host the data. The words and pictures that make up your site cost digital space. A Small Orange also does hosting, or you can use services like Squarespace, Wix, or Weebly, which allow you to build a website from a theme and register a domain name and hosting, all under one subscription.
A Small Orange cost: About $35-$240/year
Squarespace/Weebly/Wix cost: About $96-$300/year
Step 3: Design your site
If you like designing and writing and sourcing photographs, this is the fun part. If you don’t like doing those things, this is the part where you bang your head against a wall. Services like WordPress, Squarespace, Wix, and Weebly offer you prefabricated themes where you drop in the content you want to display. Between choosing a theme that reflects your business, to writing content, to finding photos, this step can be very time consuming.
Squarespace/Wix/Weebly cost: Included in subscription
WordPress cost: About $25-$200
Or hire a professional
If this all sounds like too much for you, it might be better to hire a developer like Vireo Productions. We’re experts in publishing websites — we do this kind of work all day, every day.
Why hire a professional web designer?
- You won’t have to settle. When choosing a pre-made theme, you’ll have to settle for one that most closely matches your business’s style. If you work with us, we’ll be able to create exactly what you need.
- You’ll get better content. At Vireo Productions, we work with our clients to produce high-quality writing, photographs, and videography for every project.
- We take care of details. We know about the little things you might not think of, like building in multiple resolutions of the same image, so it looks good on different sizes of screens.
- Clear pricing. With subscriptions, there are multiple levels of pricing, with confusing add-ons and considerations like bandwidth. How do you know which one is right for you? At Vireo, we explain all of our pricing, and ensure you’re only paying for what you need.
- Your time is money. You’re paying us to put in the time so you don’t have to.
- We take it to the next level. While the sites you can build with services like Squarespace or WordPress are passable, we can make your business’s website truly stand out.
If you’re looking for a fresh, new website, give us a ring. If you’re based in Saskatoon, Sask., like we are, we’ll stop by in person for a chat. If you’re from further afield, we’re happy to arrange a talk via Skype.